Studying at Film School

Code of Practice

The New Zealand Film and Television School are serious about student welfare and has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the Minister of Education. Copies of the Code are available on request from this institution or from the New Zealand Ministry of Education website at

Conditions of Acceptance

In addition to the conditions listed here, all conditions that are part of the contract with the student, the fees refund policy and other school policies also apply.
  • Students must accept and abide by rules regarding behaviour and conduct that apply to all students. Unacceptable behaviour may result in the termination of tuition.
  • Students must observe the laws of New Zealand.
  • Students must observe the conditions of their Visa and Student Permit. If a student breaks the terms of the visa/permit, the school will report the fact to the New Zealand Immigration Service, which may result in the student having to leave New Zealand.
  • The student will attend the school on all occasions when it is open unless prevented by illness or other urgent cause.
  • Tuition may be terminated if the student fails to comply with the school rules or breaches the conditions of their visa.
  • Tuition fees will be paid in full before enrolment.
  • The conditions of the Fee Refund Policy will be accepted
  • All students are required to have travel and medical insurance for the duration of their period of enrolment. The student must make their own arrangements and proof must be provided that the insurance purchased is adequate.
  • All disputes will be dealt with in New Zealand law.
  • The school's complaints procedure for international students will be used to deal with grievances.
  • Student must inform the school of their address, telephone number, fax number and e-mail address (whichever applies). The student will advise the school of any change in the contact details of the student.
The student will provide academic, medical and other information that is relevant to the wellbeing and course placement of the student.

English Language Proficiency

International students are required to have a level of English language proficiency appropriate to the nature of the course. The film industry uses a lot of specialised language, and academic language skills are less important than an ability to learn new words and communicate clearly and effectively. All international students will have a minimum of 5.5 IELTS English ability. Every applicant is interviewed, either in person or by telephone. The appropriateness of this proficiency will be further evaluated in the interview process through an informal discussion with the staff. The interview is an opportunity for the staff to get to know the applicant and for the applicant to gain a better understanding of the school.


All students are expected to have a good standard of health and fitness to enable them to carry out the physical demands of the course.

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at


Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service and can be viewed on their website at


ACCIDENT INSURANCE: The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at

MEDICAL AND TRAVEL INSURANCE: International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. The Film School will accept insurance policies from overseas, provided a copy is provided in English. Evidence of medical and travel insurance must be provided at enrolment.

Working in New Zealand

International students should check with the New Zealand Immigration Department as to whether they may work whilst studying.   After graduation you may apply for a work visa in the Study to Work category.